If you’re like me, you’ve fallen in love with the world of Korean dramas (K-Dramas) and Netflix has served as a good gateway into watching entertainment from South Korea. Last week, Netflix announced it’s slate of Korean Originals coming to the platform which includes a wide spectrum of various themes, from supernatural action drama to romance with a Sci-Fi twist, stand-up comedy, and more. The coolest part? My favorite horror show of 2018 is coming back for a second season with ‘Kingdom S2.’
In the opening remarks at the 14th Asian TV Drama Conference, Rob Roy, Vice President – Content at Netflix APAC said, “Asian content has found fans around the world transcending languages and borders, and we are humbled to work with some of the finest creators and talent here in Korea and all over the region.” He added, “Whether it is a story about a Joseon crown prince saving his kingdom from zombies or a school nurse protecting students with her supernatural gift, each show is about how the TV form is helping to realize the artistic visions of Korean creators, and Netflix is honored to bring these stories to the world, bringing their creative visions to life on the screen.”
Upcoming Netflix Korean Original series that are in the pipeline are (arranged in alphabetical order):
- Busted S2 is the returning season of Netflix’s first Korean Original variety show featuring Yoo Jae-suk, Lee Kwang-soo, Kim Jong-min. Ahn Jae-wook, Park Min-young, Sehun of Exo, and Kim Se-jeong of Gugudan.
- Extracurricular – A story of high school students who become tangled in a series of conflicts and events that challenge human values and morality. Oh Jisoo ends up committing a serious crime because of his determination to make college tuition money on his own, by any means. Seo Minhee gets caught up in Jisoo’s crime while Jisoo’s schoolmate Bae Gyuri becomes involved in the same crime.
- Kingdom 2 is the returning season of the story about a kingdom defeated by corruption and famine, a mysterious rumor of the king’s death spreads, as does a strange plague that renders the infected immune to death and hungry for flesh. In it, the crown prince fallen victim to a conspiracy, setting out on a journey to unveil the evil scheme and save his people from a strange plague that renders the infected immune to death and hungry for flesh.
- My Holo Love – More details later in 2019
- Park Na-rae: Glamour Warning is a stand-up comedy special featuring one of Korea’s most beloved comedians, Park Narae
- Round Six is a story of people who fail at life for various reasons, but suddenly receive a mysterious invitation to participate in a survival game to win ten million US dollars (more information about the title: click)
- The School Nurse Files tells the story of a newly appointed high school nurse who discovers secrets and mysteries with her supernatural abilities of chasing ghosts. Jung Yu-mi will play the role of Ahn Eun Young, who faces herself in various supernatural phenomenon and uses exorcism in a unique yet comic way. The series will be directed by Lee Kyoung-mi who is well known for her style of maximizing the appeal of each character and bringing the most out of the story in her previous works.
More details about other new Korean Original titles will also be announced soon.
Kate is co-founder, EIC, and CCO of BWT. She’s also a Certified Rotten Tomatoes Critic, host, and creator of our flagship podcast, But Why Tho? and Did You Have To?. She also manages all PR relationships for comics, manga, film, TV, and anime. She has an MA in Cultural Anthropology and Religious Studies focusing on how pop culture impacts society.