Buffy the Vampire Slayer turned 20 on March 10th. In this episode Kate brings Adrian and Tom through the 20-year long history of one of Joss Whedon’s most beloved television shows. A movie, 144 episodes, a spin-off series, novels, comic books, and an entire sub-genre of Academic study, the slayer lives long after the seventh season and holds a special place in pop culture. As one of her favorite shows, Kate explains its significance to television, women, and academia. Adrian and Tom weren’t huge Buffy fans before this episode but as Kate brings them through seminal Buffy episodes, you’ll be surprised to hear their reactions. The But Why Tho? “Scoobies” walk through Surprise/Innocence (2.13/14), Hush (4.10), The Body (5.16), Once More With Feeling (6.7) and the series finale, Chosen (7.22).
Buffy took real life issues and made monsters out of them. Every week, we got to see the Scoobies triumph, fail, or navigate the terrors of life.
Since the show has been out for 20 years and Kate was beyond excited, there isn’t a spoiler warning, BUT if you like what we’re talking about, we suggest you pause the episode, watch some slayage on HULU and then come back to us.
- Buffy Cast’s Reunion and reflection on the show’s legacy.
- Xander‘s speech about feeling weak.
- Spike‘s attempted rape of Buffy — and why Kate can never get behind Spuffy pairing — James Marsters (Spike actor) responds to the bathroom scene at Cleveland Comic Con.
- Hush discovery scene.
- Anya’s monologue in The Body.
- Buffy’s goodbye in The Gift.
- Giles being a rock-star in Once More with Feeling.
- Buffy’s speech in Chosen. Make a Choice.